Adopt-An-Agency, established in 1977, is a network of nonprofit, hearing health organizations that share the same mission and goals, helping expand awareness and impacting individuals with communicative disorders. Affiliates must be a 501(C)3 or tax status equivalent, including schools or school districts or departments, colleges or universities, that provide direct services, education, or research related to helping those with communicative disorders. Participants include school districts, hearing and speech clinics/centers, deaf schools, hospitals, college/universities, support services, and various other nonprofit organizations.
With an annual fee of $200, Sertoma Affiliates receive valuable benefits including:
• Community Grant: This grant is for hearing health programs and projects, between $2,500 and $5,000. Funded projects include hearing health equipment, program supplies, screenings, new program development, and support groups.
• Professional Education Grant: This grant enables staff members to attend conferences and trainings that greatly expand their ability to serve the hearing health industry. The impact of just one of these grants, up to $425 per fiscal year, can be seen in the hundreds of lives these professionals touch each year.
• SAFEEars!©: With hearing loss becoming more common in the United States, awareness programs such as SAFEEars!, serve as an important catalyst to educate the public about this critical health issue. The program strives to motivate young people and adults to take action against noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) by understanding its problem and its solutions.
• CELEBRATE SOUND Don’t Walk in Silence™: A national fund- and awareness-raising event created to promote hearing health in our communities. Half of walk proceeds support projects in your community; the other half help fund national hearing health mission projects such as scholarships, grants and public awareness campaigns. This premiere event is a turnkey fundraising project to help raise funds and awareness of Sertoma, our affiliates, and our hearing health mission.
• A Sound Investment: A public awareness campaign with the goal to make the sounds through public address and amplified systems in public facilities readily accessible to those that use hearing assistive devices. Looping is a simple technology that allows hearing assistive devices to serve as wireless loudspeakers, delivering clear, sharp, customized sound right from inside the ears.
• Sertoma Purchasing Cooperative: Affiliates receive discounts on hearing aids, batteries, therapy materials and audiology and speech pathology equipment from leading suppliers, including Widex Hearing Aid Company, Oticon and Phonak, Inc. among others.
To become an Affiliate, simply complete and submit the Adopt-an-Agency application. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the program or the application.
To see a list of Sertoma Affiliates, please see the Affiliate Directory.