The Adopt-An-Agency program establishes a relationship between Sertoma and a nonprofit hearing and speech facility. It is a practical way for a club to help a local organization and promote Sertoma’s national mission
Sertoma’s partnership with these agencies, known as National Affiliates, expands awareness in the community to the pervasiveness of communicative disorders and the resulting impact on the lives of individuals and their families.
Sertoma Affiliates must be a 501(C)3 or tax status equivalent, including schools or school districts or departments, colleges or universities that provide direct services, education or research related to helping those with communicative disorders. The participants in the Adopt-An-Agency program include hearing and speech service centers, speech pathology and audiology clinics, departments at universities and hospitals, schools districts, and various other non-profit organizations.
With an annual fee of $200.00 paid either by the facility or sponsoring club, Sertoma National Affiliates receive various benefits:
- Community Grant – These grants are for hearing health programs and projects, between $2,500 and $5,000. Grants can support purchasing hearing health equipment, program supplies, screenings, new program development, and support groups
- Professional Education Grants ($425 per fiscal year)- These grants enable Affiliate staff members to attend conferences and trainings that greatly expand their ability to serve their communities.
- SAFEears! – Affiliates are able to order SAFEears! supplies directly through Sertoma Headquarters. Affiliate organizations also benefit from collaborating with their local Sertoma Club to distribute SAFEears! materials at the Affiliate facility, health fairs, and other fundraisers.
- CELEBRATE SOUND – Sertoma’s national fund- and awareness-raising event created to help members, clubs and national affiliates promote hearing health in our communities. This premiere event is a turnkey fundraising project. The events help raise funds, but equally important, helps raise awareness of Sertoma, its affiliates, and our hearing health mission.
- A Sound Investment – A public awareness campaign with the goal to make the sounds through public address and amplified systems in public facilities readily accessible to those that use hearing assistive devices. Looping is a simple technology that allows hearing assistive devices to serve as wireless loudspeakers, delivering clear, sharp, customized sound right from inside the ears.