By Brandi McGrath Kong, Director of Member Services & Conferences
July 1 marks an annual day of importance for Sertoma clubs across the United States and Canada each year; this is the day we begin the Sertoma Fiscal New Year. As many clubs transition to new leadership and set their sights on the work that lies ahead, here are six tasks to keep in mind during this busy time.
- Close out your financials. Make sure that all donations, expenditures, and income have been accurately and completely recorded. You will want to get any acknowledgement letters out to your donors and collect on any outstanding debts.
- Revisit your club’s emergency plan. Ensure the contact information is current and that the plan is accessible to all responsible parties.
- Take a look at your passwords. If it’s been a while since you changed up your club’s login information, this can be the perfect time to update your passwords to protect your various accounts. You will also to check that you have the correct contact information on file so that your club will continue to receive any pertinent communications.
- Make a calendar of important Sertoma dates. This includes your National Conference (September 30-October 1), Member Changes Deadlines (September 30, December 31, March 31, June 30), Club Grant Report Deadline (October 10), Annual Activities Report Deadline (November 15), Club Info & Officer Reporting Deadline (May 15) and more. Find the forms here. There many other important dates throughout the year, so make sure to watch Sertoma’s Facebook page and your inbox for additional details.
- Revisit your budget. Whether it was passed recently or some time ago, use the beginning of the fiscal year to take a look at your club’s financial status and goals. Some national-related items to remember include Club Dues in July and the annual insurance billing in September.
- Assess your club’s goals for the year and seek out learning opportunities that support them. We have many short sessions available in our Training Library to help you get started.