For more than 100 years, volunteers known as Sertomans serve communities across the United States. Originally known as Co-Operative International, each member takes pride in the colorful history of the Co-Operative Club International and Sertoma International. This history is based upon information gleaned from old SERTOMAN and THE CO-OPERATOR magazines on file at Sertoma Headquarters.
On April 11, 1912, three Kansas City, Missouri, business men, Dr. George W. Smith, Dr. Charles E. Allen, and newspaper publisher William R. Rowe, enticed community leaders to get involved. Now entering the 2nd century of service, Sertoma community leaders are engaged in improving the quality of life in communities by making a difference for those who suffer from hearing loss.